Department of Environmental Toxicology
4419 Meyer Hall
Fax: : 530-754-8556
- Regulatory (US EPA) and basic research in developing analytical methodologies for the determination of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables, as well as, the environment (air, water and soil). Instrumentation includes, but is not limited to: gas chromatography, liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry.
- Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry, University of California, Davis, 2000 PhD
- Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry, University of California, Davis, 1997 MS
- Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, 1994 BS
- ETX 102B - Quantitative Analysis of Environmental Toxicants
- ETX 228 (Guest Lab Instructor) - Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry of Toxic Chemicals
- Laboratory Coordinator for the Western Region IR-4/ Trace Analytical Laboratory
- Member of the Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry Graduate Group
Hengel, M.,Shibamoto, T.Method Development and Fate Determination of Pesticide-Treated Hops and Their Subsquent Usage in the Production of Beer. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:3412-3418, 2002.
Wong, J., Webster, M., Halverson, C., Hengel, M., Ngim, K., and Ebeler, S. Multiresidue Pesticide Analysis in Wines by Solid-Phase Extraction and Capillary Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometric Detection with Selective Ion Monitoring. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:1148-1161, 2003.
DuTeaux, S., Hengel, M., Degroot, D., Jelks, K., and Miller, M. Evidence for Trichloroethylene Bioactivation and Adduct Formation in the Rat Epididymis and Efferent Ducts. Biological Reproduction. 69:771-779, 2003.
Yasuhara, A., Tanaka, Y., Hengel, M., and Shibamoto, T. Gas Chromatographic Investigation of Acrylamide Formation in Browing Model Systems. J. Agric. Food Chem. J. 51:3999-4003, 2003.
Hengel, M., Hung, B., Engebretson, J., and Shibamoto, T. Analysis of Fenhexamid in Caneberry. Blueberry and Pomegranate by Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:6635-6639, 2003.
Hall, Gregory L., Engebretson, Jo, Hengel, Mathew J., and Shibamoto, T. Analysis of Methoxyfenozide Residues in Fruits, Vegetables, and Mint by Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:672-676, 2004.
Wong, Jon W., Webster, Michael G., Bezabeth, Dawit Z., Hengel, Mathew J., Ngim, Kenley K., Krynitsky, Alexander J., and Ebeler, Susan E. Multiresidue Determination of Pesticides in Malt Beverages by Capillary Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrometry and Selected Ion Monitoring. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:6361-6372, 2004.
Hengel, Matt J., Hung, B. K., Engebretson, J. A., and Shibamoto, T. Analysis of Nicotine in California Air Samples from XAD-4 Resin. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 74:445-455, 2005.
Hengel, Matt J. and Miller, Marion. Analysis of Flonicamid and Its Metabolites in Dried Hops by Liquid Chromatography–Tandem Mass Spectrometry. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:8033-8039, 2007.
Hengel, Matt J. and Miller, Marion. Analysis of Pesticides in Dried Hops by Liquid Chromatography–Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Submitted to J. Agric. Food Chem. 56:6851-6856, 2008.