Office: 4245 Meyer Hall
Phone: (530) 754-5192
Personal Professional Website: http://tjeerdemaresearch.ucdavis.edu/
Research currently focused on investigating (1) the metabolic actions of toxic chemicals in aquatic animals using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)-based metabolomics (environmental metabolomics); (2) the biochemical actions of toxic chemicals in aquatic animals using in vivo NMR; (3) the kinetics and biotransformation of pesticides and petroleum hydrocarbons in aquatic animals; (4) the influence of surfactants on the bioavailability of petroleum hydrocarbons in aquatic systems; (5) the dissipation of herbicides via volatilization, soil sorption, photodegradation and microbial degradation under rice field conditions; and (6) the fate of pesticides and petroleum hydrocarbons in marine mussels and sediments. Member of the Graduate Groups in Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry, Ecology, and Pharmacology & Toxicology.
- PhD - University of California, Davis - Pharmacology and Toxicology 1987
- M.S. - University of California, Santa Barbara - Pharmacology 1983
- B.S. - Humboldt State University - Natural Resources 1980
- B.S. - Humboldt State University - Wildlife Management 1980
- ETX 10 - Introduction to Environmental Toxicology
- ETX 102A – Environmental Fate of Toxicants
- ETX 120 – Perspectives in Aquatic Toxicology
- ETX 101 – Contributor
- ETX 220 – Contributor
- PTX 201 – Contributor
- PTX 230 – Contributor
- Department Chair - Environmental Toxicology
- Advisor & Member of the Graduate Group in Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Member of the Graduate Group in Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry
- Advisor and Member of the Graduate Group in Ecology
- Advisor - Environmental Toxicology
- Director - Marine Pollution Studies Laboratory
Donham, R. T., D. Morin, W. T. Jewell, M. W. Lame, H. J. Segall and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2005. Characterization of cytosolic glutathione S-transferases in juvenile Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Aquat. Toxicol. 73, 221–229.
Jabusch, T. W. and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2006. Microbial degradation of penoxsulam in flooded rice field soils. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54, 5962–5967.
Jabusch, T. W. and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2006. Photochemical degradation of penoxsulam. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54, 5958–5961.
TenBrook, P. L., S. M. Kendall and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2006. Toxicokinetics and biotransformation of p-nitrophenol in the white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus). Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 64, 362–368.
Viant, M. R., C. A. Pincetich and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2006. Metabolic effects of dinoseb, diazinon, and esfenvalerate in eyed eggs and alevins of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) as determined by 1H NMR metabolomics. Aquat. Toxicol. 77, 359–371.
Rosenblum, E. S., M. R. Viant and R. S. Tjeerdema, 2006. Effects of the local environment on host-pathogen-drug interactions in red abalone determined by 1H NMR metabolomics. Environ. Sci. Technol. 40, 7077–7084.